Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
We need to Study
- Why do we need to study?
- Psalm 119:105-Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. We live in a dark world. It’s not a good idea to go stumbling around in the dark without a flashlight. There may be roots, stumps, rocks, and other obstacles that you could stumble on and fall if you’re not careful. When we study God’s word, it’s a light unto our path. It tells us the obstacles to watch for, and how to overcome them. It gives us a clear path as we study
Joshua 1:8-This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. Wondering what God’s will is for your life? Spend time in His Word, meditate on it. Think about it. Obey it, and you will be blessed.
- Hebrews 4:12-For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. God’s word is powerful. It speaks to every area of life. When Jesus was tempted by the devil, the weapon of choice was the Word of God. When Satan attacks you, get into the Word. Obey it. Stand on the promises it has within. Let God’s Word be your two edged sword.
What does God say about us studying?
- 2 Timothy 3:16-All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: All scripture is from God. It is all important. It’s profitable for doctrine, our belief system. It is good for reproof, to correct us when we’re wrong, and it teaches us what is right.
- Romans 15:4-For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. We should always be learning. The only people who have learned all there is to learn in this world are those who have gone on to Heaven. As we study the Word, we will learn more and more about who God is. We also gain hope and comfort from the scriptures.
- By studying, how does it affect you and me?
- Isaiah 53:6-All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. The more we study, the more we know what God has to say about us, our sin, and our need of a savior.
Matthew 5:16-Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. The more we study, the more Christ-like we are, and people will see how we live, and many will glorify God.
- 2 Timothy 4:2- Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine. The more we study, the more we can help others by pointing them to what they need in the Word.
We need to be approved
- For what reason? Are we just trying to prove something?
- Romans 12:2-And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.We don’t study the Word to prove how spiritual we are, or how smart we are, but we prove what is acceptable to God…what His Will is, and how He wants us to live.
Acts 9:22-But Saul increased the more in strength, and confounded the Jews which dwelt at Damascus, proving that this is very Christ. By studying and obeying God’s word, more and more, we prove to the world around us that Christ is real, and living and active in our lives.
- That kind of seems prideful in a way, doesn’t it? but not really. Here’s what the bible has to say about pride.
- Proverbs 16:18-Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
- 1 John 2:16-For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
- When we study the Word, live it, and share it with others, it is always to be in humility. There’s nothing prideful about studying and being approved by God.
Why can’t we just go about our business and not worry about proving anything to anyone?
- Romans 10:14-How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? If we just go about our business, who will tell our family and friends about Jesus?
- In a bible study video on a Thursday night, the speaker said “Christianity is always one generation away from dying. It’s up to each one of us to share the Gospel with people around us. In fact, if you want to be spiritually healthy, sharing the Gospel is an important part of your life.
- Why does God want us to be approved of Him?
- Galatians 1:10- For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ. As Christians, we are to live our lives in service to Jesus Christ, and to seek to please Him and be approved by Him.
Colossians 3:23-24-And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ. Here again, whatever you do, you should be serving the Lord and you will be approved, and be blessed by Him
- what is a workman?
- Psalm 119:1-2: Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the Lord.Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart. A workman is one who seeks to live according to God’s Word.
- Titus 2:9-Exhort servants to be obedient unto their own masters, and to please them well in all things; not answering again. A workman is diligent at his job or ministry, seeking to please those they work for, doing their workas unto the Lord.
- James 1:22-25: But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. Bottom line, a workman is one who doesn’t just hear the word, but does what it says.
What is his function?
- Luke 14:23-And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled. .Job 1 of every Christian is to go out and tell people about Jesus, compelling them to come into the Kingdom of God.
- Are we just working our way to heaven?
- Ephesians 2:8-9: For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. We are not working our way to heaven because no good works we could possibly do would get us there. It’s only by grace.
- Our good works are done out of love and gratitude for what He has done for us.
We need not to be ashamed
- Why do we need not to be ashamed?
- Hebrews 12:2-Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. God despises shame. He went to the cross to take our shame and our sin upon Himself.
- Romans 1:16-17: For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith. God doesn’t want His People to be ashamed. We are the King’s Kids. We have the Power of God for salvation. We have what the world needs. If we’re studying the Word, and living for Him, we won’t be ashamed.
- How do we know we are rightly dividing the word of truth?
- Isaiah 28:10-For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: We need to let scripture interpret scripture.
- 2 Corinthians 13:1-his is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established. Two or three witnesses are needed to make a doctrine. You can’t make a teaching out of one verse.
- Study to whom a Scripture is written, and what time it is written about.
- There are so many interpretations, so many bibles, so many people telling you this and that. What is the truth?
- John 14:6-esus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. Jesus is the truth. There may be other voices telling you this and that, but the words of Jesus are truth and life.
- John 8:31-32: Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.As you seek God, and read His Word the bible, you will know the truth. He will make it plain to you.
When we do find the truth, how do we stand on it?
- 1 Corinthians 15:58- Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye steadfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord. We are to stand on the truth, confidently, unwaveringly, boldly, no matter what comes our way.
- Galatians 5:1-Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. We read earlier that we will know the truth, and the truth will make us free. As we study the Word, believing what it says, wea re made free in Jesus. God wants us to stand on that Word, and not ever go back to being in bondage, as we were before we believed.
Conclusion to all of the above.
So we’ve broken down the scripture, 2 Timothy 2:15. Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
- We’ve talked about why we need to study: It is the lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path. It shows us God’s will for our lives. God’s Word gives peace and long life to those who study. IT speaks to every area of our lives.
- We discussed What does God say about us studying? The bible is all from God. It shows us what to beleive, corrects us when we’re wrong and teaches us what is right.
- We talked about how studying affects you and me. We shared that the more we study, we know what God says about us. We talked about how studying makes us more like Christ, and are able to help others.
- We talked about being approved. We talked about how as we study the Word, we prove what is God’s Will. We are more like Christ, and by studying and obeying the Word, we prove to the world that He is real. We discussed how our efforts to study and be approved by God are not prideful, but are done in humble service to God.
- We talked about What is a workman? A workman seeks to live according to God’s Word. He or she is diligent at his job or ministry, seeking to please God and the person we serve under. Bottom line, a workman is a doer of the word, and not a hearer only. His or her function is to share the Gospel with everyone they meet. A workman is not someone trying to work their wayto heaven. The works they do are in gratitude and obedience to God.
- We asked Why do we not need to be ashamed? God despises shame and doesn’t want His Kids to be ashamed. We have the power of God for salvation. We have what the world needs. If our trust is in God, and we are studying the Word and living by it, we need not be ashamed.
- We talked about how we know we are rightly dividing the Word of truth. If we let scripture interpret scripture, don’t try to make a doctrine out of just one verse, and study to find out who is being written about and what time period, we are rightly dividing the Word of truth.
- We asked the question, what is the truth, when there are so many bibles and people telling us this and that. We shared that Jesus is the truth. His words are truth and life. We talked about the fact that if we seek Him, and His Word, we will know the truth and the truth will make us free. We also talked about standing firmly on the truth, boldly, confidently, unwaveringly.
So where are you in relation to 2nd Timothy 2:15?
- Do you study the Word? Do you dust off that bible and study it?
- Are you a Berean, searching out the scriptures, or do you just go by what someone says?
- Are you seeking to be approved by God, or is it more the approval of men that you seek?
- Are you a workman, rightly dividing the Word of truth who needs not to be ashamed?
- I think every one of us can grow in this area. Let’s all endeavor to study God’s Word, be a doer of the Word, and share the Gospel with those we meet. We will be approved by God and not ever need to be ashamed.